In 15 years of working with horses, I have seen many types of wounds, skin fungus, galls and burns. Over the years I have used many different products for wound care, all with varying results. I never had a true “go to” product. That changed when I was introduced to Schreiner's Herbal Solution.
The Go To Product For First Aid
If I had to choose only one first aid product to have on hand for animals (and humans) Schreiner’s Herbal Solution wins hands down.
Schreiner’s works on everything: from the smallest scrape to large open wounds. I have used it on burns, galls, hot spots, wounds, fungus and scratches. I use it on my horses, and dogs. The best thing about the solution is it promotes healing from the inside out. There are no worries of a wound healing over the top and later breaking open or abscessing because the tissues underneath were not totally healed and become reinfected. In 15 years of using Schreiner’s I have not had a wound develop proud flesh. In fact, if you have a wound that has developed proud flesh Schreiner’s will kill it. Puncture wounds which are arguably the most difficult wound to treat do not become infected when treated with Schreiner’s.
- Aloe Vera – aloe Vera has been used for healing wounds, burns and sores for over 2,000 years. The anesthetic, antibacterial and tissue restorative properties of Aloe have been confirmed by clinical studies.
- Goldenseal – The active ingredient of goldenseal hydrastine is effective for skin infections and sores. Recent research confirms that goldenseal has strong antibacterial and antiviral properties
- Comfrey – Allantoin, is the healing compound derived from comfrey which speeds healing and promotes tissue growth. It is an astringent which is known to destroy harmful bacteria and alleviate infection.
- Myrrh – Has been used for thousands of years as a cleansing agent, anti-fungal and antiseptic agent. Myrrh is known to stop tissue decay.
- Cayenne – Capsaicin the active ingredient of cayenne inhibits the growth of microorganisms and bacteria in living tissues. It is used on both fresh and old wounds with beneficial results.
- Elder – The blossoms of the elder plant is an effective medicine for wounds and other skin ailments.
This combination of natural herbs makes a potent healing solution. It promotes heals without damaging the skin. Another amazing thing is that once healed, there is very little scar tissue and the hair will grow back normally leaving little to no evidence that there was ever an injury.
For the best results use Schreiner’s solution exclusively. If needed use a betadine solution to initially clean the wound, but for any additional cleansing use Schreiner’s and gauze. Generously spray the wound 2-3 times a day, thoroughly saturating all exposed tissue and the areas around the opening. For exceptionally large wounds or puncture wounds, spray 4 times a day for the first week.
Two Recommendations For Optimal Results
- Keep water off the wound. I know this will raise some eyebrows, but for the best results, try to keep water out of the wound. If dirt and debris get into the wound use the Schreiner’s as a cleansing agent. Only use water if the dirt and debris are so packed into the wound that it would be impossible to clean without warm water. If you must use water, rinse the wound thoroughly and then spray it until saturated with Shreiner’s.
- If possible leave the wound opened. Only wrap if absolutely necessary to keep it clean or keep out insects. If leaving the wound open is not possible, saturate gauze with the solution, pack the wound and then bandage. Change the bandage twice a day, replacing gauze.
Because it works on wounds, scrapes, burns and most skin fungus Schreiner’s should be in every stable for first aid treatment. Do not let the price affect your decision. Almost $20.00 for 8.5 ounces may seem pricey compared to other products, but I am telling you from experience, in the long run you save not only money, but time as the wound will heal not only faster but better. Try it, you will not be disappointed.
Why I Recommend Schreiner’s Herbal Solution
4-ounce "saddle bag" - $11.00
8.5-ounce "trigger spray" - $18.00
16-ounce "refill" - $32.00